Benefits of Citizenship

Citizenship allows access to programs and services like supports for children and familieshealth & wellness programs, educational resources and scholarships, and housing programs and grants.

Join in cultural opportunities such as: family camps, youth hangouts, and seniors gatherings. Use your Citizenship to get a 5-year parks pass as part of the Indigenous Peoples Open Doors Program. Recognized harvesters can connect their card to their RELM account.

Access Programs & Services


Download and print an application form for your Otipemisiwak Métis Government within Alberta citizenship.

Original documents are not required, you may submit photocopies or scans of your documents with your application package. Any missing information or documentation will result in a delay of your application.

Once completed, the application can be mailed, emailed, or delivered in-person. 


ATTN: Registry
Métis Nation of Alberta
#100 Delia Gray Building
11738 Kingsway Avenue
Edmonton AB T5G 0X5


Faxed applications will not be accepted and not returned to the applicant.

In-person /Registry Drives:

You can deliver your application to the Provincial Office in Edmonton or bring your application package to a Registry Drive near you. Commissioner of Oaths and photos will be taken on site. Harvesting applications will also be accepted.

Intake hours: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Applying for Métis Citizenship

In addition to meeting the National Definition of Métis,
you must also submit the following documents:

  1. Family Tree
  2. Birth Certificate
  3. Identification
  4. Proof of Residency

Watch the video to find out more about the application process.

Registry & Application FAQs

For more information, please contact our Registry Department:

Phone: 780-455-2200
Toll Free: 1-877-454-0684

All FAQs

How do I register as a Métis citizen?

In addition to meeting the National definition of Métis,
you must also submit the following documents:

  1. Family Tree
  2. Birth Certificate
  3. Identification
  4. Proof of Residency

Find the application form here.

What is the National definition of Métis?

Definition: “Métis means a person who self-identifies as Metis, is distinct from other Aboriginal peoples, is of historic Métis Nation Ancestry and who is accepted by the Métis Nation”

Historical Proof: refers to evidence of an ancestor who received a land grant or a scrip granted under the Manitoba Act or the Dominion Lands Act, or who was recognized as Métis in other government, church or community records.

Historic Métis Nation: refers to the Aboriginal people then known as Métis or half-breeds who resided in the Historic Métis Nation Homeland.

Historic Métis Nation Homeland: the area of land in west-central North America used and occupied as the traditional territory of the Métis or Half-breeds as they were then known.

Métis Nation: means Aboriginal people descended from the Historic Métis Nation, which is now comprised of all Métis Nation peoples and is one of the “aboriginal peoples of Canada” within the meaning of s.35 of the Constitution Act 1982.

Distinct from other Aboriginal peoples: means distinct for cultural and nationhood purpose.

Do you need to be a resident of Alberta to apply for MNA citizenship?

  • Yes, applicants must be a permanent resident of Alberta (minimum 90 consecutive days).
  • You will need to prove permanent residency in Alberta with one (1) of the following:
    • Alberta driver’s license;
    • Three (3) months of utility bills (mobile phone records will not be accepted);
    • Vehicle insurance and;
    • Mortgage or rental lease agreement.

What happens during the application process?

  1. Applicant (This is You)
    Brings completed forms to intake.
  2. Intake Officer
    Ensures forms are complete and sends them to the Registry Agent
  3. Registry Agent
    Prepares documents and family tree to send to Genealogist
  4. Genealogist
    Reviews family tree and sends to Registrar
  5. Registrar
    Authorizes citizenship card
  6. You’re Now a Citizen
    When application is successful you will receive your citizenship card

Where do I request birth documents from?

You can request birth documents from the Vital Statistics Department of the province you were born in. Please ensure requested documents show parentage. Born in Alberta, we can order the birth document. Fill out the form.

Where can I access application packages to become a Métis Nation of Alberta (MNA) Citizen?

I have completed my application package. Now what?

Before your application is processed, it needs to be commissioned.

  1. I live in Edmonton
    Bring all completed forms and required documents to the MNA Provincial Head Office in Edmonton to get your application commissioned.
  2. I don’t live in Edmonton
    Bring all completed forms and required documents to your nearest district office to get your application commissioned.
    Once all forms have been commissioned at your nearest regional office, completed application packages can be mailed to head office on your behalf, or dropped off in-person to Métis Nation of Alberta
    ATTN: Registry
    #100, 11738 Kingsway NW
    Edmonton, AB T5G 0X5

I am having trouble filling out my family tree. Where can I go for help?

The Genealogy Research Centre staff are available to assist with completion of family trees for application purposes.

  • To book an appointment or for more information on your family tree and ancestry, please call:
  • Phone: (780) 455-2200
  • Toll-Free: 1-800-252-7553

Can I reference the genealogical information of a family member for my application purposes?

If the family member gave consent during their application process you can reference their genealogical information. You still must complete your family tree to the ancestor you both have in common. Please include the full name of the family member you are referencing as well as their relationship to you, on the bottom of your family tree.

If I am a Settlement member can I also apply for an MNA card?

Anyone who is a resident of Alberta can apply. This includes Settlement members.

Can I get my forms commissioned somewhere other than the Métis Nation of Alberta?

You can get your forms commissioned at any of the following places:

  1. Registries
  2. Insurance Agencies
  3. Lawyers
    Please note, fees may apply for the above.

My Métis card was lost or stolen, how do I get a replacement card?

  • To request a replacement card, please call the head office at 780-455-2200.
  • The cost of a replacement card is $40.00 (cash, debit or money order accepted).
  • Depending on your original application, there may be forms that need to be re-signed.
  • You can choose to take a new photo at this time.
  • It can take up to six weeks to receive a replacement card

I am not currently a citizen of the Otipemisiwak Métis Government, what does the harvesting policy mean for me?

This Métis Harvesting Agreement only applies to citizens of the Otipemisiwak Métis Government. If you self-identify as Métis and have historical Métis ancestry, you can apply to become a Citizen of the Otipemisiwak Métis Government.

Where do I get my Métis Harvester Identification Card?

Similar to the Otipemisiwak Métis Government citizenship application process (which takes 6-8 weeks), the Métis Harvester Identification Card application process will be based out of the provincial office in Edmonton. Our Registry and Harvesting teams will also travel the province to help with applications and provide information.

If you are about to apply for citizenship, you will be able to apply for the Métis Harvester Identification Card simultaneously. Cards will be mailed to applicants after the application has been approved.

How do I update my address with the MNA?

  • Fill out the Change of Address Form
  • You may be contacted by a registry agent for more information.
  • Mail your completed change of address form to:
    • Métis Nation of Alberta
      ATTN: Registry
      #100, 11738 Kingsway NW
      Edmonton, AB T5G 0X5



  • Visit the head office and complete your change of address form with a registry agent.