About the Otipemisiwak Métis Government
Since 1928, the Otipemisiwak Métis Government has governed the Métis within Alberta.
In 1928, Alberta Métis began organized to advance Métis self-determination and self-government in the province, leading to the creation of the Métis Nation of Alberta. In November 2022, Métis citizens overwhelmingly ratified a constitution to establish the Otipemisiwak Métis Government. In September 2023, the first election under the Otipemisiwak Métis Government Constitution was held. The Otipemisiwak Métis Government is now the government of the Métis Nation within Alberta and is recognized as such by the Government of Canada through a self-government agreement signed between the parties in 2023.
Mission & Values
We believe in:
- The National definition of Métis
- Continuing to build our foundation for future generations
- Fairness and respect for all people
- The need to work in unity and harmony
- Métis participation in building our Nation
- Encouraging and assisting Métis people to achieve their goals
- Honesty, integrity, and professionalism
- Achieving recognized self-government
- Our Métis rights as recognized and affirmed in Section 35 of the Constitution Act (1982)
Read our full mission statement
Métis Nation within Alberta Applauds Supreme Court Ruling on Bill C-92
Métis Nation within Alberta Applauds Supreme Court Ruling on Bill.
Supporting our Métis transgender and 2SLGBTQIA+ youth
The Otipemisiwak Métis Government loves and supports our transgender and.
Otipemisiwak Métis Government Applauds Indigenous and Northern Affairs Committee’s Adoption of Bill C-53
MEDIA RELEASE February 5, 2024 Otipemisiwak Métis Government Applauds Indigenous and.