Updates to your MNA Card

It is the responsibility of the applicant/citizen to keep our office updated if you should move or your contact information changes.

If your MNA citizenship card is ever lost or stolen, you will need to request a replacement card.

How do I update my contact details?

  • Fill out the Change of Address Form [pdf].
  • Mail your completed Change of Address Form to:
    • Métis Nation of Alberta
      ATTN: Registry
      #100, 11738 Kingsway Avenue NW
      Edmonton AB T5G 0X5
  • Or, visit the head office to complete your Change of Address Form with a registry agent.

You may be contacted by a registry agent for more information.

Request a replacement card

  • To request a replacement card, please call the head office at 780-455-2200.
  • The cost of a replacement card is $40 (cash, debit or money order accepted. Please do not send cash in the mail).
  • Depending on your original application, there may be forms that need to be re-signed.
  • You can choose to take a new photo at this time.
  • It can take up to 6 weeks to receive a replacement card.

Contact the Registry Office

ATTN: Registry
Métis Nation of Alberta
#100, 11738 Kingsway Avenue
Edmonton AB T5G 0X5
Email registry@metis.org
Phone 780-455-2200
Toll Free 1-866-678-7888