Epidemiology is the study of the distribution and determinants* of health-related states or events in specified populations, and the application of this study to the control of health problems.
Dictionary of Epidemiology, 2001 pg. 61
The MNA uses information from epidemiologic reports to:
- Identify health trends among Métis Albertans.
- Identify target populations for health promoting programs.
- Identify factors to prevent health and address through prevention programs.
- Identify factors to promote health and support through health initiatives.
- Make evidence-based decisions about MNA health initiatives.
- Inform funding proposals addressing the unique health profile of Métis Albertans.
- Advocate for the creation of health-related policies and programs addressing the unique health profile of Métis Albertans, both federally and provincially.
*Determinants are a factor which decisively affects the nature or outcome of something. In this case, it would affect the health outcomes of Métis Albertans.