Through increased funding, the Otipemisiwak Métis Government has expanded the reach of this well-utilized health initiative to provide both mileage reimbursement and accommodations for Métis Citizens across the province.
To apply for this program, you must:
- Be a Citizen of the Otipemisiwak Métis Government.
- Be travelling within Alberta to a medical appointment that is 100km from your residence to receive mileage reimbursement.
- Be travelling to a medical appointment more than 100km from your residence to Edmonton, Calgary, Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, or Lethbridge to receive medical accommodations.
- Provide proof of medical appointment (appointment confirmation, schedule of appointment, letter from a clinician, etc.).
- Indicate whether you are applying for medical accommodations or mileage reimbursement. If both, a separate application needs to be submitted for each request.
Accommodations and travel reimbursements will be provided to Citizens while funds last. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact the Health Program Coordinator at 780-455-2200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Requests for accommodations cannot be made more than 60 days in advance of a medical appointment and no less than 7 days before. This program is not intended for emergency accommodations. If you or an immediate family member is experiencing a medical emergency, you may still apply, however, we cannot guarantee the application will be processed on short notice.
Medical Travel Program FAQAll FAQs
How far in advance do I need to apply for hotel accommodations?
Requests for accommodations cannot be made more than 60 days in advance of a medical appointment and no less than 7 days before. This program is not intended for emergency accommodations. If you or an immediate family member is experiencing a medical emergency, you may still apply, however, we cannot guarantee the application will be processed on short notice.
What can I be reimbursed for, other than transportation costs?
Parking costs associated with travel to a medical appointment can be reimbursed with receipts up to a maximum of $40 per appointment. This rate was based on the average cost to purchase a weeklong parking pass at most Alberta medical hospitals.
Can you pay for my hotel instead?
No, we cannot cover privately booked hotel costs through this program. The Otipemisiwak Government will book eligible participants to stay at select hotels that they have direct billing accounts with.
I paid out of pocket for accommodations. Can you reimburse me?
No, for this program we cannot cover personal accommodation expenditures.
How long does it take to get reimbursed?
Cheques can sometimes take up to a month or more to be processed and mailed by the Otipemisiwak Métis Government.